Since the creation of the Internet, companies have used the Internet as a new channel to attract customers and get more sales. In recent years this phenomenon has increased with the evolution of startups whose main channel is their online store.
For this, numerous digital marketing tools have been developed. One of these basic tools (since the beginning of the internet age) has been SEO positioning .
There has always been a lot of controversy and bad publicity about the work done by someone who works in this field, since it has been associated with bad practices and tricks Google & Co. to get organic traffic . Therefore, we are going to explain what SEO is.
But also many other factors and related concepts so that you have a better understanding about this work: what is a search engine, why is SEO important for companies, advantages and disadvantages, differences between Search Engine Optimization and Search Engine Marketing, between SEO on-page and off-page, black hat and white hat, daily tasks of an SEO Manager …
What is SEO?
The word SEO is an acronym that comes from the Anglo-Saxon term Search engine Optimization . Translated into Spanish: search engine optimization .
Surely you have stayed the same, so we are going to develop this concept a little more:
SEO positioning is the implementation of a strategy and a series of tactics, in order to highlight certain keywords or key content on a web page, in order to achieve its positioning in search engines.
Put more simply, it works as a way to highlight specific content and give it relevance in order for search engines to show it in their search results, in a “privileged” space.
This is achieved, in principle, by using keywords within the text that we want to optimize … But it is only the tip of the iceberg
What are search engines and how do they work?
A search engine is a web page that, by adding a word or phrase, returns the best suggestions found on the internet (based on your criteria). This consists of four basic parts:
- A user interface where searches are performed
- A robot or spider that searches for information on the Internet
- An algorithm that connects user requests to the database
- And a database where all the contents have been indexed
The heart of any search engine is undoubtedly the algorithm that directs the robot or spider and then categorizes the information that will be displayed after user requests. These algorithms are really complex and both their composition and operation depend directly on their developers.
In other words, a search engine gives suggestions based on a logic pre-established by the developers based on different variables. What variables are those exactly? That is what all of us who work in SEO positioning would like to know.
Example of most common search engines
- Google : it is the most used search engine in Spain with more than 97% of the global search volume. So we are going to focus more on this one.
- Bing : It is Microsoft’s search engine and the second largest in the West by search volume, although it is still a long way off. However, depending on the niche you work, it can be interesting. As a guide, in one of my projects we hypothesized which search engine our target audience would use. We think that for a target group of 50-60 years of age, it is very possible that many use Bing since Windows brings it by default. The result (both organically and ad) was a higher CTR and CTA than Google. Of course, very far from the absolute figures.
- Yahoo! : It is more of a web portal with different services such as news aggregator, email, …
- Yandex the most popular search engine in Russia
- Baidu is the most used search engine in China
How can SEO help improve the sales of your entrepreneurial project?
Based on the fact that the consumer nowadays searches the internet before buying any product to:
- Compare prices
- Find information on how to use the product or services
- Read reviews
- Make tutorials with which to learn something or solve a problem,
- Buy a product, …
It seems quite obvious that implementing a good SEO strategy can help improve the sales of your company, online store, blog, …
Luckily, all this information can be measured and compared with various tools, with which you can get an idea (always an approximation) of the result you can achieve and the content you should bet on in order to attract customers to your website. .
Therefore, how can SEO help your website or online store?
- You can study the competition , within the search engines.
- Whether you are a large or small company , if you implement a good SEO strategy, you will be able to obtain better positions than your competition on the internet and, therefore, a greater probability that users will visit your website and make a purchase.
- SEO traffic is scalable . If you’ve heard of startups, you know what I’m talking about. Scalability is nothing more than increasing your work capacity with the same resources. In our case, increase the sales capacity. If you need someone to write content for your blog, an SEO Manager can create it based on data, optimize the article and promote it. Therefore, for each post you write you can get a better return.
- You can build your brand image without having to invest millions of euros in television
- You can optimize content already created , depending on the data you have, to continue improving their rankings
In summary, the idea of SEO is as follows:
better rankings = higher probability of receiving visits = higher probability of creating conversions (sales)
Advantages of SEO
You’ve probably heard that SEO works very well to attract visitors to your website. But it is actually more than that. It is a powerful strategy to develop your site, capable of taking your business to new levels of profitability, brand awareness and success. Next we will present the most important advantages of SEO:
- Attract qualified traffic : Search is driven by demand on the internet, which means that anyone who comes to your site from a search engine expects to find a page that answers their query. If this happens and you show him all the information he needs, he will likely end up becoming your next customer, subscriber, or whatever it is that you are targeting.
- The investment is fixed : The cost is practically stable and independent of the volume of visits. Compared to search engine advertising, the cost per click of SEO is higher during the initial stage, but then drops to a fixed level during the maintenance and content creation stages.
- The profitability is high : You do not have to pay to be indexed in a search engine, nor is there a time limit to appear in the search results. This favors the profitability of SEO in the long term, especially for high-volume search queries, as opposed to other methods such as SEM or click advertising, such as AdWords. In this type of tool, each click has a cost, so basing your online strategy only on pay-per-click campaigns could be very expensive (especially if you do not get a return from it: But we will talk about this topic below.
- Makes you ubiquitous without paying for it every time : A simple search can put you in front of people interested in what you offer. So if you improve your visibility for the right terms, you can introduce yourself to the potential customer at some point in their conversion funnel. It will depend on your plan how to direct your potential clients to a certain content.
- The process is dynamic : Search engines return to your site regularly in search of changes or new content, which means that you can dynamically optimize your content based on the results you get.
Many of those who jump into SEO seduced by its benefits end up failing. As they only expect benefits, they do not know how to deal with problems when they appear. Remember that there is no rose without thorns and that SEO positioning is no exception. If you want to enjoy its great advantages, you must take into account its great disadvantages.
Disadvantages of SEO
- It is unpredictable : It is impossible to predict or guarantee the positions / volume of clicks because the impact of future changes in the search algorithm is totally unknown. You can make a rough estimate of visits based on search volumes, but it is still mere probability.
- The SEO process requires time for its development and for search engines to value it . For this reason, the result can take months to arrive, especially if your domain is new.
- It is difficult to control : The rankings achieved depend on constantly evolving algorithms whose operation is not known with certainty, as well as the SEO work of your competitors. Hence, positioning requires specialized knowledge, constant monitoring and quick response to a problem or opportunity.
- Technical requirements : A common problem is not having the resources, knowledge or technology to implement certain SEO actions, such as changes in the structure of the site or the on-page SEO of an article. The technical component is of essential value especially in niches where there is a lot of competitiveness. The better the structure of the web and the content, the easier it will be for Google to understand what we are talking about. But, for this you need technical knowledge.
- The investment is continuous : Unless you want to give your competitors an advantage, you cannot take a break. Staying high requires ongoing investment in learning, tools, content generation, and link building.
Differences between SEO and SEM
We have already talked about what SEO is. Now, to know the difference between SEO and SEM we must understand what the latter term is.
This concept comes from the English acronym Seach Engine Marketing and refers to the promotion of a website in search engines through the use of paid ads , through platforms such as Google AdWords or Bing Ads.
This concept is extended to also refer to other types of advertising through these and other display and social media platforms, where it is usually paid based on the clicks generated by the ads.
The purpose of these tools is to give immediate visibility to our website. From the moment we configure the campaigns, we make the bid and the platform approves them; our ads have the ability to appear in a matter of hours or even minutes.
Knowing this, we can generate a table of differences between these two models:
The main difference between SEO and SEM is that with an SEO strategy we do not have to assume a direct cost for each visit (cost per click). However, as we will see, this does not mean that SEO is always cheaper or that it does not involve any cost.
SEM is always more immediate, since we can create campaigns today and start appearing in the top positions from day one. Of course, you have to bear in mind that if you stop investing, you stop showing up.
In SEO the result is usually seen in the medium / long term. The advantage is that if you position a content, keeping it in a good position is relatively easy ( Scalability friends !). Although, it is true that the ease will depend on the niche you are in and its competition.
The advantage of pay per click is that we can get visibility almost overnight (well, if you know how to optimize your ads, of course). While in SEO nobody can guarantee you appear in the first positions. It can take months and even more than a year depending on many factors.
However, if you carry out a good strategy and work on your content, in the long term SEO is a more sustainable tool, since it does not depend on what you pay but on the quality of your content.
3. Level of control over changes
In the SEM it is easier to have control of everything that is happening, we can establish what we want to spend and not go from there, we can activate and pause campaigns when we want, create new ones, add and remove keywords, create new ads, generate specific landing pages that specifically match our objective, etc.
In SEO, if there is control over the changes, but not so much over the results. You have to follow up and see “what happens”, how the changes we are making are affecting and if we are on the right track. It allows us less control.
The advantage of platforms like Google AdWords or Bing Ads is that you can have the information centralized on one site.
Measurement is somewhat more complicated in SEO, but not impossible. But to measure conversions from your work, you’re going to have to learn to deal with Google Analytics .
This is just a guideline. To talk about web analytics, you could write a series of extensive articles
5. Return on investment
This point is very relative. What is an absolute truth is that if you want to do it well, for both of you you will need an experienced professional or it will be very expensive.
That said, I sincerely believe that SEO is more sustainable than SEM and in the long run it brings more benefits to the company.
In SEM, as we have discussed, you pay when the person clicks on an ad. Campaigns, ads and keywords can be optimized for a lower cost per click. But in the end, you will keep paying.
When we optimize our online store or website, visitors will come through organic searches. This means that the cost you will have is to create the content (and promote it). But once the work is done, costs per click will drop exponentially. If you also get conversions, then the result is quite clear.
As an example: 2 years ago I started working in an online machinery distribution store. When I arrived, a lot was invested in AdWords. 2 years later, after creating an SEO and content strategy, we have managed to reduce the AdWords budget by € 35,000 per year and sales have increased exponentially.
RESULT: More sales and less investment
IMPORTANT: I don’t mean to say that the ads are bad. Simply that you must be guided by their performance. If you invest € 100 and get € 10,000 it is a good deal. It will depend on your online marketing strategy and the means you have available.
6. Choice of keywords
To make an AdWords ad, we will choose keywords related to our product or service (transactional). Keep in mind that, as a general rule, the goal of AdWords is to sell. And even if you don’t sell, you will have a cost if the user clicks on your ad.
In SEO the objectives are more open and, therefore, also the choice of keywords.
We can use keywords based on the intention of the visitor. Do you remember what we talked about at the beginning?
- To buy
- Find information about something
- Read the opinion about a product, ..
Here we can create content that appeals to the future buyer in different ways, while also creating brand awareness. Or do you prefer to buy from someone you don’t know at all?
It is not the same to search: “iPhone 7 price” “what iPhone opinions”, or “how to update the latest iPhone version”.
All of them have a different intention, but in the end they all lead to a product.
At this point we could talk about conversion funnels . But better leave it for another day.
7. Changes and optimizations
Another difference in these strategies comes when making changes. SEO is less flexible to changes, that is, for a change to take effect it can take weeks, since once it is made it will be necessary to track and update the page on the servers.
Differences between on-page SEO and off-page SEO
On-Page SEO consists of optimizing the internal elements of the web: structure, improvement of texts, use of keywords, etc. in order to achieve the objectives set by indexing content by search engines.
On the other hand we have Off-Page SEO, which is the implementation of a series of techniques focused on promoting our page.
Off-page SEO is directly related to link building, which is based on getting external links that point to our website to improve its search engine positioning. Although, from my point of view, today it goes further and merges with what is known as content marketing.
Why? This is directly related to what Google currently considers to be important factors affecting organic positioning:
- Relevance (we understand it as a well-developed article with a lot of useful content and optimized based on a keyword – like this, hehe)
- Social signals
- Number of backlinks (and their quality)
- Lower bounce rate
- Longer interaction time (dwell time)
All these factors signal to search engines that it is quality content. And this process can be accelerated by promoting the content.
Result: if when Google indexes your content it sees that it meets all these factors, it will give it a better position.
Obviously there are more relevant positioning factors. But speaking of content, these are what I usually guide myself by.
Differences between White Hat and Black Hat SEO
The White Hat SEO consists of applying web positioning techniques that follow the general, quality and specific guidelines of the search engine, such as Google Guidelines for Webmasters . That is, no “trick” is done to get more visitors, but the website is optimized so that it is positioned “legally” in search engines. This is the safest way to get rid of penalties.
Obviously, SEO is also about trying new solutions and techniques, so you have to find a balance between getting results quickly and sticking to guidelines.
We can say that, implementing White Hat SEO, the fruit of the work is obtained rather in the medium and long term.
The Black Hat SEO , is based on the use of techniques that do not follow the guide of good practices Google, Bing, etc. They try to manipulate the results artificially, to make search engines believe that the web project has a higher quality than it actually has.
Its purpose is to position itself better than the competition at any price and as quickly as possible (with the risk of exposing itself to subsequent penalties).
These techniques can give good results in the short and medium term, causing the domain to quickly position itself in the first positions before Google can act against you. But rest assured that the penalty will come. (If it doesn’t come, tell me how you did it)
As an example, link building:
Before it was very normal to buy a large number of links to quickly position your website. The quality of the link did not matter, that it was from a good page, that the link was within a specialized content, .. The only important thing was that it pointed to your website.
Since the creation of the Google Penguin Algorithm in 2012 , pages with artificial links lost all rankings overnight.
Other Black hat techniques:
- Duplicate content
- Cloacking: It is about using a title or url that has nothing to do with the actual content, simply with the aim of positioning the url.
- Keyword stuffing: repeat the same keyword many times in a text
- Hidden keywords with the same color as the background of the web page (very old school)
With this example, you can see the notable ethical and functional differences of both work models, and how this affects search engine positioning.
My advice, hire an experienced SEO who is able to recognize the limits of SEO optimization.
What does an SEO specialist do?
The job of an SEO specialist is to connect supply with demand, through search engines:
The needs of potential buyers with the products or services offered by a company
People who are looking for certain types of information with an article or blog that explains them correctly.
Your task is to optimize the page to produce relevant search results that lead to a positive user experience, site traffic growth, and brand awareness. To do this, you must set clear and measurable objectives.
To do this, a well-defined process must be followed:
- Analyze the project and the competition
- Create the strategy
- Implement tactics and perform tasks that lead us to the objectives that we have set
- Analyze the results
- Optimize based on them to keep improving
It is a work that mixes creativity, analytics, perseverance and above all to be permanently updated with Google updates.
The tasks of an SEO Manager differ depending on whether he works for a SME, a large company, … since as a general rule, in a small company the tasks are usually broader due to the lack of staff. While in other larger companies, it is usually more specialized.
As an example, in a larger company with staff there would be a person in charge of the analysis of the competition, technical and usability audit (broken links, duplicate content), keyword research … and another more specific for the creation of texts or other types of contents. In the reality of most Spanish companies, the SEO Manager takes care of everything… and more.
From my point of view, what is important is to have a series of personal and professional characteristics:
Characteristics of an SEO Manager (a good one)
- Project management : It must be in contact (and in many cases coordinate) with areas of the different departments (graphic design, programming, content) in order to carry out a joint strategy to optimize the web.
- Possess large doses of creativity to find market niches or keywords still untapped where you can generate a large amount of traffic. At the same time, to create content of high quality, relevance and better than its competition.
- Have great analytical capacity to find those “Keyword” keywords that give the best performance and productivity to companies and handle the different web traffic measurement tools, to differentiate quality visits from others.
- Be proactive : Do not wait for events to occur, but anticipate problems, trends, …
- Have great communication skills : since you will have to deal daily with colleagues (who in many cases do not understand what you are doing), clients or service providers. Or lead (and keep happy) a team that gets the job done.
- Have knowledge of HTML . This point is not totally necessary (for example if you dedicate more to content optimization), but they can make your life easier.
- Keep the strategy and objectives always in mind.
- Read the best sources and train continuously .
These have been all my thoughts on the meaning of SEO . As you can see, it is practically a “pseudo science” and can be as specific or as broad as you like. It also touches many areas: from analysis, to psychology, probability, writing, creativity, …
What is an irrefutable fact is that if you know what SEO is, the work that it entails and its possible repercussions, you will be able to assess with greater criteria if your company needs to invest part of the online marketing budget in improving organic positioning.
SEO online course
To learn SEO, it is best to fiddle with your website and at the same time take a course and read a lot of documentation on the internet. An SEO course will help you lay the foundations and put a certain order to the concepts. In the next button, you will be able to see the Web Positioning course that we recommend.
How to Create Account in EXMO step by step
In this article you will learn how to register in EXMO in 2022, as you well know it is a cryptocurrency platform to trade, as well as buy and sell digital currencies. Next, we are going to make you a quick and easy guide to create your account.
How to open an account in Exmo.com step by step
Access the official website of EXMO to be able to register for free.
At the top right you will have a Registration button, click on it and there you will open a form to place basic data such as username, email, telephone, password and its confirmation, as well as the acceptance of terms and conditions of the platform.
Likewise, if you want you can subscribe to receive news you just have to activate the option. then activate the captcha and click on “Registration”
Phone and email verification
They will send you an SMS to the registered phone to place the verification code and give it confirmation. The same will happen with the email, in which they will send you an email with a link to confirm the account and activate it.
Once you have completed all the registration, you must verify your account, this is quite important that you do it so that you do not have limitations, it is a financial platform and as such, by regulation you must verify your identity and address.
- For identity, you can do it through your ID, passport or other identity document, also a selfie with the document, you can support yourself by linking the mobile if you do not have a webcam.
- In the case of the address, it would be verified with a bill for services such as electricity, water or other document where they can verify your location or residence, this is to raise the limits further.
- For the card, you need to enter your card details and even take a photo and attach it.
Ideally, you should verify everything, but the first thing is the identity, in which you will be required name, surname, middle name in the case you have. Secondly, you will be asked to identify what type of document you are going to use to identify yourself, for example, the DNI.
After that, you must upload a photo of the front and back of the identity document, if you do not have them at hand, you can do it with your mobile and send it to you by mail or web whapsapp or another application, and then upload it from the computer.
Once this is done, it will request a selfie with specific details, where you must write down on a paper the word EXMO, followed by the date of the day of the photo and hold the DNI without covering anything, there you capture the photo and attach it, with these steps you will already be in the process of verifying the identity.
Likewise, you can do it to verify the address with a receipt and in the case of the card you must do the same, they are similar processes quite simple, the idea is that you complete the entire registration process.
Another important point regarding registration is the security configuration in which you can add extra protection and have two-step authentication. Likewise, you can observe other options such as personal information, which you can review carefully.
How to create an account on Poloniex step by step
In this article you will learn how to register with Poloniex in 2022, it is a cryptocurrency trading platform, where you can trade with margin or leverage and you can also do hodl. Here’s a step-by-step way to create an account on Poloniex.
Go to the official website of Poloniex
Access the Poloniex registration page to later follow the step by step that we will give you to register for free.
Select “Sing Up”
Once you are on the platform you must select in the left menu “Sing Up”, where you must enter the email and password, the latter you must confirm it. Additionally, you must place the referral code (optional), as well as accept the terms and policies that govern this page.
Verify your email
Once the previous form has been completed, you must check the email where a link will be sent for the purposes of verifying the email, in order to continue with the account registration process.
With the email and password data entered, we select “Log In” and access. Among the important things that there are is the “profile”, where you will have to verify your account.
If you want to apply margin for trading or leverage you must verify your profile in “Upgrade” you will be able to select other aspects that will help you verify your identity, you will probably be asked to upload a file, such as a photo of the DNI or an invoice to verify the address.
Then, in the event that you want to use the future option that allows margin up to one hundred leverage, you have to have verified these things.
This request is totally normal, since it is required by all financial platforms by legal issue, with this you would already have verified level 2 and with it you would not have any type of limit.
Right now, you could make all kinds of deposits, normal purchases with certain fairly high limits.
Two-factor authentication verification
To protect your account you can activate 2FA this is double authentication code, so you must enter a code apart from the password to be able to log in.
How to Invest in Cryptocurrencies on Skrill
If you are one of those investors who do not like to deal with many complicated orders, but prefer to hold long-term, then Skrill is an excellent alternative for you. With the simplicity that characterizes it.
But the question is, how to invest in cryptocurrencies within Skrill? The answer will be shown in this article.
But first log in to your Skrill account, then you could already start the step by step that will be shown below.
Access Skrill’s Cryptocurrency Investment Options
Like any financial platform, Skrill puts at your disposal tools so that you can invest in cryptocurrencies within yourself, doing so in a simple and comfortable way. To access these tools, below, we will describe the following procedure:
Within the home screen of your account, in the left sidebar, find and tap on Cryptocurrencies.
Important: It is likely that when you enter this section, you will be asked to accept some terms or similar.
Once there, you are presented with different options in terms of cryptocurrencies. From among these, you will select Invest now, clicking on this option.
Once you access that section, you will be shown an extensive list of existing cryptos in Skrill. In each of which, you are given a Trade option. If you click on any of these, you would enter their trading options.
When you have entered the crypto you chose, you will see a Buy – Sell panel.
Ways to trade cryptocurrencies in Skrill.com
In this buy-sell panel or trading box, you will have some options that will allow you to perform these operations:
Steps to buy cryptocurrencies within Skrill
First of all, talking about the purchase of cryptocurrencies in the Instant mode (which is the usual one), you will be able to do the following:
Select the currency in which you want to buy cryptos.
Set the amount to spend that, for its purposes, must be a minimum of 10 EUR (You are also shown the balance you have available).
Select the cryptocurrency in which you are going to invest.
See what you are going to receive in cryptos in equivalence for what you have invested.
See the commission you will be charged for that transaction.
When you have everything ready, then you can click Next.
After this, you will be able to see the summary of the entire operation; you will be told everything you have added, such as the amount and what you would receive, and also the commission charge, which will be added to the total amount to be spent. If you agree with everything, you can click on Confirm.
Steps to Sell Cryptocurrencies within Skrill
There is not much to comment on in the case of selling your cryptos within Skrill, as they are basically the same steps as in the case of the purchase:
You establish the type of crypto that you are going to sell (and that logically, you should own).
You indicate the amount of cryptocurrencies to sell directly or, if you prefer, using the percentage indicators.
Select the currency in which you want to receive the funds in equivalence.
See how much you will receive, in the same way as the previous case.
Having this ready too, you would click Next.
Following this, you must also click on Confirm in a summary similar to that of the case of the purchase, where you will see important data with which, if you agree, you can proceed to the respective confirmation.
Some other options that Skrill gives you to trade
The options you have in Skrill to trade are very practical and easy to use. And for your convenience, they are not numerous. Here’s what you can find on Skrill for when you want to trade on it:
The Portfolio section
In this section you have at hand some useful things for your negotiations, such as:
The Watchlist, with which you can keep abreast of the indices of your cryptos in the market.
Alerts and orders. With these options you are given the possibility to mark an index within the cryptocurrency, which, if the price reaches it, this will be notified to your email or mobile, as you have it configured.
Recent activity. It is the section where you will get your last financial movements, when it comes to purchases and sales, as is logical.
The Trade section
Within this section, you can do what you are told below:
Visualization of Graphs. This will allow you to take a look at the stock market movement in a not at all complex interface (you can also see the current trend that the market has in terms of sellers and buyers).
As you can see, the trading system within Skrill is not complicated. They are few and simple options, but with the same utility for people like you who do not want to get too entangled in the stock market issue, but to play it safe, but in a simple way.
This tutorial summarizes it this way so that you have a general idea when investing in cryptocurrencies within Skrill.